In these unprecedented times, the customers and communities we serve are relying on us more than ever. Our products are especially critical right now as they enable people to work from home, educate their children and stay connected with their loved ones. We know that you are counting on Western Digital to deliver, and are committed to doing just that.
To our employees:
We want to say thank you to our 60,000+ team members working all over the world through this pandemic. Many of you are working from home, while some are keeping our factories running. As this global crisis quickly evolves, we are grateful for your tireless efforts in ensuring the continuity of vital technology infrastructure. Protecting the health and safety of you and your family is of paramount importance.
- Global work-from-home policy. A large portion of our global workforce now operates from home, supported by the tremendous efforts and innovation of our CIO and IT staff.
- Keeping our global manufacturing teams protected. We have adopted stringent health and sanitation measures throughout our facilities. Our standards follow or exceed recommendations of national and local health authorities, as well as the World Health Organization.
- Significant measures for operational continuity. To support our factory workforce, we have implemented new and extensive precautions:
- Provided housing for worker accommodations where necessary that are sanitized to our standards
- Added and increased shuttles to avoid burdening public transportation
- Implemented strict policies for social distancing on our buses, shuttles and across all factory functions
- Required any factory worker who can work remotely to do so
- Travel policy and third-party visitors. We have suspended all business travel and non-essential site visits by non-employees to any of our locations worldwide.
To our customers and partners:
We’re seeing the same unprecedented increase in online activity, cloud computing and smart devices that you are. We know the significance of the critical technology powering the world’s response, research and communication efforts and are doing everything we can to keep up with the demand for our technology and solutions. We are here for you.
- We are continuing operations. While this remains a dynamic situation, Western Digital factories worldwide continue to operate with enhanced health and safety measures.
- Constantly mitigating ecosystems. Since the start of the COVID-19 outbreak, our manufacturing, logistics, and operations teams have worked tirelessly to shift demand from impacted suppliers, adjust transportation routes, and continue factory operations while protecting the safety of our employees, suppliers, and communities.
To our communities:
Our hearts go out to everyone who has been affected by this virus and we are immensely grateful to those on the frontlines working to combat it. We are taking actions to support our communities, including donations of:
- $1.5 Million to Silicon Valley Strong Fund*. We’ve joined together with other Silicon Valley companies to address the needs of the community. The collaborative Fund will support individual and families at risk of displacement, small and micro-businesses at risk of closure, and local non-profits that are on ground assessing and serving needs as they evolve. Learn more or donate at Silicon Valley Strong Fund.
- Up to $1 Million to COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund*. Western Digital is donating $500,000 to the COVID-19 Solidary Response. In addition, we are actively encouraging and offering up to an additional $500,000 in matching funds for contributions from our employees. Administered by the United Nations Foundation, the fund will support work of the World Health Organization as it leads in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic on a global scale.
- 250,000 critically-needed materials. We’ve donated over 7,000 medical-grade gloves and will deliver 243,000 surgical masks in the weeks ahead, to local hospitals and other medical facilities near our headquarters facility in San Jose, California. These donations are in addition to the masks, gloves, face shields, hazmat suits and other PPE we have made available to front-line medical personnel and others responding to the crisis in the global communities in which we operate. We are exploring opportunities to use our supply chain capabilities to help provide aid.
*Note: Western Digital’s grants are provided through the Western Digital Fund, an advised fund of Silicon Valley Community Foundation
We are continuing to assess additional opportunities to do our part and provide support as we can.
We know in the coming months there will be many more challenges. Through solidarity, compassion and innovation, our communities can not only overcome, but thrive. We’re with you through this journey.